Split Pea Soup
Tasty and Healthy Split Pea Soup
Just about any soup you can think of is fast and easy with a pressure cooker – chicken soup, potato soup, apple-squash soup, lentil soup, soup with beans and whole grains, and more. The great thing about a pressure cooker is not only does it cook food faster than other methods of cooking, it also fuses the flavours of the ingredients so you get really tasty soups for your family, perfect to enjoy on cold days.
To get you started on your soup journey using a pressure cooker, here's a simple, tasty recipe for a split pea soup.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup split peas, dried
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 5 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 medium potato, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Using a 5-litre or larger pressure cooker, heat bacon over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion and saute in the bacon fat until transparent.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in the pot, except for the seasonings. Lock the lid in place. Bring to pressure and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove heat and allow pressure to go down naturally. Remove the lid and tilt the pot away from you to release steam.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Optional: Garnish with minced parsley.
- Serve immediately.
As pea soups go, a key to good flavour is a good stock, so make sure that you have homemade stock or buy a quality one in commercial stores, if the first option is not available. It's very easy to adapt this split pea soup recipe to your personal liking. You can use ham instead of bacon, you can make it vegan, or you can add or subtract veggies as you like.
Another thing you'll appreciate about making split pea soup in a pressure cooker is that this gizmo does the job of pureeing the soup for you, so you won't have to do it manually with a blender – another added convenience that goes a long way in food preparation.
Other Pressure Cooker Recipes and Related Items:
Looking for a pressure cooker
? Check our Pressure Cookers
, Shop by Brand
or read our Buying Guide
to find the pressure cooker that best suits your needs. Pressure Cookers also make a perfect gift
for those who enjoy cooking at home.