Salmon Al Cartoccio
The best of healthy Italian cooking!
Al cartoccio is Italian for packet cooking. The French call this en pallion. It is basically a method of cooking fish through steam in its own juices and zest, with some vegetables on the side. Fish cooks well with this method but it is a very delicate protein, so it needs some protection from the pressure cooker's turbulence. This is why the fish is wrapped in foil or oven paper (or a double layer of both).
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 4 salmon fillets, fresh or frozen
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 white onion, shaved
- 4 sprigs of parsley
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Lay the ingredients on the parchment paper in this order: a swirl of oil, a layer of potatoes, salt, pepper and oil, fish fillets, salt, pepper and oil, herbs, onion rings, lemon slices, salt, and oil.
- Fold the packet. Wrap the packet snugly in tinfoil.
- Pour two cups of water in the pressure cooker. Place the steamer basket in position and lay the packet on the steamer.
- Cook two fillets at a time. For taller/larger cookers, two layers of steamer baskets can be used at once.
- Close the pressure cooker top. Turn to high heat, and let it reach pressure. Then, turn down the heat to the lowest setting.
- Cooking time should be between 12 to 15 minutes, after which you can release the vapour but do NOT open the top just yet.
- Let the packets of fish sit inside the locked pan for another 5 minutes.
- Open the top and take out the packets. Take off the tinfoil and serve.
- The recipe works well with any thawed and drained white fish fillets, like grouper.
- You can use white wine instead of lemons.
- Feel free to experiment with different herbs and spices as you wish.
- Make sure that the packets have enough space between each other during cooking.
- Use a mandoline slicer to achieve perfectly thin slices of potatoes and onions.
Other Pressure Cooker Recipes and Related Items:
Looking for a pressure cooker
? Check our Pressure Cookers
, Shop by Brand
or read our Buying Guide
to find the pressure cooker that best suits your needs. Pressure Cookers also make a perfect gift
for those who enjoy cooking at home.