Morrocan Lamb Tajine
Sweet and savoury lamb that melts in your mouth!
Traditionally cooked in a huge conical ceramic pot, this dish can also be enjoyed through the convenience of a modern pressure cooker. This is best enjoyed hot with some rice on the side. Follow the recipe below to cook up this hearty recipe in just half an hour!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 1.2 kg lamb shoulder, chopped
- 300 g prunes
- 100 g almonds, peeled and toasted
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- 3 tbsps honey
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 turmeric powder
- 1 cinnamon powder
- sesame seeds
- olive oil
- Preheat the pressure cooker on medium heat with the lid off.
- In a bowl, make a paste by mixing the ground cinnamon, garlic, ginger and turmeric with 2 tbsps of olive oil.
- Cover the meat with the paste.
- Place the prunes in a bowl and cover with boiling water.
- Now, slush tow swirls of oil in the pressure cooker. Add the onions and cook for 3 minutes or until softened. Remove the onions and set aside for later.
- Add the meat to the cooker and let brown - this'll take about 10 minutes.
- Deglaze the cooker with the stock. Pour it in and scrape off whatever has stuck to the bottom of the cooker.
- Add the bay leaf, cinnamon stick and the softened onions.
- Lock the lid. Cook at high pressure for 25 minutes.
- Once done, open using the Natural Release method.
- Drain the prunes. Then, add them together with salt and honey to the pressure cooker. For about 5 minutes, cook on medium heat with the lid off - just enough to reduce the liquid. Once done, remove the cinnamon stick and bay leaf.
- Serve with sprinkled toasted almonds and sesame seeds on top.
- Alternatives to prunes include apricots and dried raisins
- This dish can be served with a couple of crushed cardamom pods
- Any rice will be great with the recipe, but the best choice would be Basmati rice
Other Pressure Cooker Recipes and Related Items:
Looking for a pressure cooker
? Check our Pressure Cookers
, Shop by Brand
or read our Buying Guide
to find the pressure cooker that best suits your needs. Pressure Cookers also make a perfect gift
for those who enjoy cooking at home.