Savoury, Braised Lamb Shanks
Tender, falling-off-the-bone lamb shanks for 4 in only 30 minutes!
Lamb shanks make for a perfect dinner to warm and fill you and your family's stomachs after a long day of work and school. Braised in a pressure cooker, lamb shanks become even more savoury – tender, falling-off-the-bone meat and tasty, healthy juices that can be used as a sauce. With your handy, all-around pressure cooker, you can whip this dish up in as little as 30 minutes, including preparation time, and immediately have it hot and ready for everyone to dig into!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 4 lamb shanks
- 60 g plain flour
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, cut into medium-sized chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsps tomato paste
- 1 medium tomato, quartered
- 180 ml red wine
- 60 ml water
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- salt and pepper
- Pour the flour into a shallow container. Add a dash of salt and pepper and mix.
- Coat the lamb shanks in the flour mixture.
- Heat the olive oil in the pressure cooker over medium to high heat.
- Brown the lamb shanks in the hot oil and the remove to a plate.
- In the same oil, saute the chopped onion, crushed garlic, oregano and carrots for 4-5 minutes, until onion slices are transluscent.
- Add the tomato paste, quartered tomato, red wine, water and bouillon cube.
- Stir and bring to a boil then add the lamb shanks back in.
- Cover and lock lid on pressure cooker. Bring to pressure.
- When pressure is reached, turn heat down to low. Continue coooking for 20-25 minutes.
- Release pressure naturally.
- Remove lamb shanks from pressure cooker and transfer to serving dish.
*For a thicker gravy, mix 2 tablespoons of plain flour with 1 ½ tablespoons of water to form a paste. After removing the lamb shanks, stir this paste into the remaining sauce.
We recommend some fluffy mashed potato as a side dish. Enjoy!
Other Pressure Cooker Recipes and Related Items:
Looking for a pressure cooker? Check our Pressure Cookers, Shop by Brand or read our Buying Guide to find the pressure cooker that best suits your needs. Pressure Cookers also make a perfect gift for those who enjoy cooking at home.