A perfect dish to complete your Sunday dinners!
Lamb is one of the most delicious meats to cook ragout with, thanks to its natural flavour and umami. This recipe is made with a pressure cooker and takes just over an hour to complete: perfect for the coming winter months!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
- 680 g bone-in mutton
- 220 g mushrooms
- 4 tomatoes
- 2 carrots
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/2 onion
- 2 tbsps tomato paste
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp oregano
- freshly chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, wash the mutton pieces and remove excess fat.
- Brown the meat on all sides.
- Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water and pull off their skin. Separate the flesh from the skin by grating the flesh or simply cutting it out.
- Add tomato paste and flesh into the cooker.
- Remove the skin of the onion and garlic, and then add them whole to the cooker.
- Wash mushrooms and peel the carrots. Chop roughly until they are of the same size, then add to the cooker as well.
- Pour in water enough to submerse all vegetables and meat.
- Cover the pressure cooker and secure the lid tightly.
- Cook for an hour on medium heat.
- After cook time, release the steam and carefully remove the cover.
- Remove the whole garlic cloves and half onion from earlier, and discard.
- Transfer meat on a dish and let it cool. Separate the meat from the bones and excess fat. This should be an easy task, but if not, it may indicate that you need more cooking time* - so return to the cooker and cook for longer.
- Now, return meat to the sauce and cook until the juice has been fully reduced and all that you have is a thick sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Do not remove 100% of the fat - only remove the visible parts - as this is important in the flavour of the dish
- The cooking time* may very depending on how tough the meat is to begin with, or depending on the bone-to-meat ratio
- Serve the ragout with any type of pasta, with potatoes, or with fresh bread
Other Pressure Cooker Recipes and Related Items:
Looking for a pressure cooker
? Check our Pressure Cookers
, Shop by Brand
or read our Buying Guide
to find the pressure cooker that best suits your needs. Pressure Cookers also make a perfect gift
for those who enjoy cooking at home.