Hearty Beef Stew
Warm, hearty beef stew
Nothing provides more comfort on a cold night than a bowl of warm, tummy-satisfying beef stew. This classic recipe of beef stew with potatoes, carrots and herbs makes a hearty, delicious meal that is perfect to serve for the entire family. Plus, cooking it in a pressure cooker allows you to save more time than when you utilise other cooking methods, making it a more convenient option for dinner on a tiring weeknight or a busy weekend. This warm, mouth-watering beef stew is best served with bread or mashed potatoes. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 4 tbsps plain flour
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into cubes
- 1 medium onion, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, crushed
- 80 ml red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 3-4 potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Use half the flour to coat beef stew meat. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a pressure cooker, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the coated beef. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until slightly brown on all sides.
- Remove the beef from the cooker, put on a plate and set aside.
- Put onion in pressure cooker. Stir for 3 minutes, until softened.
- Add garlic. Cook for another minute.
- Add wine. Deglaze the pan, scraping the bottom for any brown bits.
- Add the remaining flour. Cook, stirring, for 1-2minutes over medium-low heat.
- Put the meat back into the cooker. Pour the remaining beef stock and water. Top with bay leaf and thyme.
- Cover the cooker, ensuring the lid is tightly secured. Bring to high pressure.
- Once pressure is reached, lower heat and cook for 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Release pressure through quick release method.
- Carefully uncover the pressure cooker. Add in potatoes, carrots and celery stalks.
- Cover the cooker and bring again to high pressure.
- Reduce heat to low. Cook for a further 4-5 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Release pressure naturally. Wait for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with fresh parsley or other herbs, if desired. Serve.
Other Pressure Cooker Recipes and Related Items:
Looking for a pressure cooker
? Check our Pressure Cookers
, Shop by Brand
or read our Buying Guide
to find the pressure cooker that best suits your needs. Pressure Cookers also make a perfect gift
for those who enjoy cooking at home.