Fresh Tomato Soup
A delicious low carb recipe
Tomatoes, that all-around fruit/vegetable, has been a constant presence in kitchens ever since time immemorial. Raw, cooked, whole, chopped, canned or fresh, there are thousands of ways tomatoes have been and can be used in recipes, either as an ingredient or on their own.
An excellent source of vitamins and minerals, tomatoes score points for healthy eating in this quick, very easy pressure cooker recipe for fresh tomato soup.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1.3 kgs fresh tomatoes, washed and coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 gloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tsps fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 120 ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 175 g heavy cream
- Heat the oil and butter together in the pressure cooker over medium-high heat. When the butter melts, add the onion and garlic. Saute until transparent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, including the skin and seeds, thyme, salt, pepper and stock. Stir to mix.
- Lock the lid onto the pressure cooker and bring to pressure over high heat, about 4-5 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow pressure to release naturally, then uncover.
- Use a stick blender or food processor to puree soup.
- Put the soup through a fine-mesh strainer or food mill if any pulp or tomato peels remain.
- Return the soup to the pressure cooker. Stir in cream and reheat over low-medium heat, uncovered. Stir occasionally.
- Garnish as desired and serve.
Other Pressure Cooker Recipes and Related Items:
Looking for a pressure cooker
? Check our Pressure Cookers
, Shop by Brand
or read our Buying Guide
to find the pressure cooker that best suits your needs. Pressure Cookers also make a perfect gift
for those who enjoy cooking at home.