Who knew anything "dirty" can taste this good?
Dirty rice is in no way filthy to the taste - in fact, it's the complete opposite. Commonly enjoyed in Southern America, this dish has slowly crept up to the likings of the rest of the world. What's great about dirty rice is that you can get crazy with it - add any ingredients not on the list or skip any that you don’t like. The decisions are up to you - the goal, after all, is to create a complete dish that's just right for you.
Our recipe below stays true to the classic ingredients, but, again, you can experiment with other ingredients that you like.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 300 g chicken livers, chopped
- 85 g bacon, chopped
- 150 g long-grain rice
- 600 ml vegetable stock
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sprig parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cayenne pepper
- 1/4 black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the pressure cooker on medium heat while preparing the other ingredients.
- Once hot, take off the lid and add the onion and oil. Sauté until the onion is almost soft.
- Add celery and bacon. Sauté for 3 more minutes while stirring every now and then.
- Add the spices, garlic cloves, and rice. Mix well.
- Add the stock, using it to scrape up bits that might've stuck to the bottom of the cooker.
- Lock the lid of the cooker, then turn up to high heat and let it reach pressure. Once reached, lower it back to the minimum level of heat to maintain pressure. Cook for 4 minutes at high pressure.
- Open using the Natural Release method.
- Once the rest of the pressure has been released, open the lid. Fluff the rice and serve with parsley on top.
- Instead of bacon, you can use 85 g of spiced salami or 170 g of sausage
- In absence of the herbs, you can use canned creole seasoning, commonly available in supermarkets
- You can also serve this with some Tabasco sauce if you like it hot
- Some popular versions of the dish include the inclusion of chopped capsicums
- This is a great way to serve a meal complete with carbs, protein and vegetables in one go
Other Pressure Cooker Recipes and Related Items:
Looking for a pressure cooker
? Check our Pressure Cookers
, Shop by Brand
or read our Buying Guide
to find the pressure cooker that best suits your needs. Pressure Cookers also make a perfect gift
for those who enjoy cooking at home.