Coconut Fish Curry
Enjoy the exotic flavours of Indian cuisine!
Curry dishes are a trademark of Indian cuisine and have since seen different variations of ingredients and cooking styles. Coconut and fish are two of the world's favourite ingredients to cook with earthy herbs and spices, as shown in our featured dish here. Below is a pressure cooker recipe for this spicy and rich classic dish, perfect for lunch or dinner.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook time:15 minutes
- 750 g fish fillets, bite-size pieces, rinsed
- 500 ml unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 capsicums, cut into strips
- 2 onions, cut into strips
- 2 garlic cloves, squeezed
- 6 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsps ground cumin
- 1 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground fenugreek
- lemon juice
- Preheat the pressure cooker on medium-low without the lid.
- Add oil and curry leaves. Fry for 1 minute.
- Add onion, garlic and ginger. Sauté until soft.
- Add the five ground spices (coriander, cumin, turmeric, hot pepper and fenugreek). Sauté with the onions for 2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk to deglaze. Make sure nothing sticks to the bottom of the cooker.
- Add capsicum, tomatoes and fish. Stir to coat the fish well with the mixture.
- Set the pressure level to low and the heat level to high. Once pressure is reached, turn the heat down to low.
- Cook for 5 minutes at low pressure.
- Release the pressure by releasing the vapour through the valve.
- Season with salt to taste. Spritz with lemon juice on top.
- In absence of fresh fish, you can use thawed or frozen ones
- An alternative to 1 tomato is using a heaping cup of cherry tomatoes
- In absence of fresh ginger, use ginger powder (1/8 tsp)
- Alternatives to curry leaves: bay (laurel) leaves, basil, or kaffir lime leaves
- You can use chilli powder instead of hot pepper flakes
- You use 3 tbsps of curry powder mix in place of the 5 spices (coriander, cumin, turmeric, hot pepper and fenugreek)
Other Pressure Cooker Recipes and Related Items:
Looking for a pressure cooker
? Check our Pressure Cookers
, Shop by Brand
or read our Buying Guide
to find the pressure cooker that best suits your needs. Pressure Cookers also make a perfect gift
for those who enjoy cooking at home.